Tip #64: Teach Your Children How to Have a Healthy Lifestyle By Living a Healthy Lifestyle.
The best time to start teaching these lessons to your children is when they are young, before unhealthy choices become lifelong bad habits. When you want to pass on healthy habits to your kids, it's important to practice what you preach. Just telling your kids what to do won't necessarily work. They need to see you choosing healthy behaviors too.
What can I do?
1. Pay attention to the kinds of food you buy and limit the amount of "junk food" your kids eat.
2. Serve a variety of healthy foods and use appropriate portion sizes.
3. Encourage your children to drink plenty of water or milk, instead of fruit or sugar drinks.
4. Limit the amount of time your children spend watching television, computer, or video games to a maximum of 2 hours or less a day.
5. Eat meals and snacks together, as a family, at the table and not in front of the television.
6. Make physical activity part of your family's routine. Take a walk, visit the community pool, or go for a bike ride together.