Tip #68: Monitor What Your Child is Watching on TV.
Some tips from the article, Guilt Free TV":
1. Set limits: Kid under 2 should be discouraged from watching TV. Older children should be rationed to 2 hours of daily TV, computer, and videogames.
2. Pull up a chair: Co-view with kids. Make sure the show is appropriate and encourage interaction with good messages. Talk about the show when it is over.
3. No TV in bedrooms: This leads to unsupervised viewing and a potential for overdose.
4. Use TV-book synergy: Kids programming from "Arthur" to "The Book of Pooh" often comes from books. After watching the show, read the book.
5. Focus, Focus, Focus: Observe children's behavior while watching TV. Their recall is amazing.